Electronic Waste (E-Waste)
Electronic waste should never be thrown in the trash! Personal items can be brought to an e-waste drive to be recycled. Throughout the academic year, several e-waste drives are held to collect these items. Sustain Mizzou, a student organization, holds drives during the fall and spring semesters.
The department of Environmental Health and Safety and the City of Columbia occasionally hold e-waste drives as well. If you would rather discard of items without waiting for a drive, you can drop them off at Mid-MO Recycling. Items that were bought with University funds should be sent to MU Surplus Properties.
Acceptable items at an e-waste drive include:
- Anything with a cord
- Anything with batteries
- Extra cords
- Rechargeable batteries (cell phone and laptop batteries)
- Hair Dryers, hair curlers, hair straighteners
- Cell phone chargers/cords
- Laptop chargers/cords
- Electronic toothbrushes
- DVD or CD players
- Cell phones
- Home phones
The following items are not accepted at the e-waste drive:
- Alkaline batteries (these can be thrown away)
- Tube and LED TVs
- Floor Copier
Sustain Mizzou works closely with Mid Missouri Recycling to properly recycle all of the electronic waste gathered at their e-waste drives. If you have any questions regarding the Mizzou E-Waste Drives, please contact Sustain Mizzou at firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring 2019 E-Waste Drive Schedule
Sustain Mizzou will hold their annual E-Waste Drive at the MU Student Center during the following dates/times:
- Tuesday, March 19 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 20 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursday, March 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 30 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 1 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursday, May 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.