The MU Sustainability Green Volunteer List was established in the fall of 2019 to recognize University of Missouri students who dedicated a set amount of volunteer hours each semester to making their campus and community a more sustainable place to live.
To be eligible for the Green Volunteer List in a given fall or spring semester, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Gold – Volunteer dedicated 20 hours or more this semester helping their campus and Columbia community.
- Silver – Volunteer dedicated 11 hours to 19 hours this semester helping their campus and Columbia community.
- Bronze – Volunteer dedicated 10 hours or less to helping their campus and Columbia community.
Green Volunteer activities include:
- Tiger Tailgate Recycling with MU Sustainability
- MU Sustainability event assistance
- Student Ambassador outreach
- Sustainability communications
- Stream cleanups with Sustain Mizzou
- Weatherizing houses with Sustain Mizzou
- Help with pickup and/or sorting for Tiger Treasures Rummage Sale with MU Sustainability and MU YMCA
- Waste Audits with MU Sustainability
- Assisting with True/False
- Tabling at electronic waste drives with Sustain Mizzou
- Voting in campus, city and national elections
- Attending city council meetings/forums
- Attending sustainability-focused events listed on our Campus/Community calendar within each monthly MU Sustainability newsletter.
How to log your hours: Login to MU Engage to record your community service hours with our team. Follow this guide for step-by-step instructions and if you have any troubles please give us a call at 573-882-8207. Hours will start over at zero at the beginning of each semester.
Ways you will be recognized: A tab on our sustainability website labeled Green Team will recognize volunteers by name per semester, they will receive an official digital certificate that they can add to their portfolio/resume and they will be honored in our newsletter at the end of each semester.
How frequently will students be recognized: This will be a semester based green volunteer list that will go from August 1 to December 31 and January 1 to May 31. Results will be posted one to two weeks after the last day of December/May. A digital copy of the certificate will be emailed to the student to save paper.
Where to learn more about the volunteer activities:
- MU Sustainability Facebook Page
- MU Sustainability Programs
- Sustain Mizzou’s Facebook Page
- MU Sustainability Newsletter
- City of Columbia – City Council Meeting Info
- Boone County Government Website (for voting information)
- True/False Volunteer Information
- Missouri Students Association Elections Information